Job Description Summary:
PayPal’s Legal team is looking for an experienced, highly engaged and dynamic lawyer to serve as our Head of Crypto Legal. The Head of Crypto Legal will serve on the leadership team for PayPal’s blockchain and cryptocurrency business initiatives and be the central point of contact on all legal and strategic decisions for this business. This role will report into the Vice President, Legal – Risk & Platforms, Regulatory, Privacy & Antitrust at PayPal.
PayPal’s Blockchain, Crypto and Digital Currencies (BCDC) business unit is focused on ensuring end-to-end management of PayPal’s underlying product, technology infrastructure, partnerships and regulatory foundations for digital assets to help enable our support existing capabilities and markets, as well as drive continued growth in the space.
- Serve as the first point of contact for all issues related to PayPal’s blockchain and cryptocurrency business.
- Advise on threshold regulatory questions regarding cryptocurrency business initiatives, including applicability of federal securities laws, commodities laws, and laws regarding illicit finance.
- Evaluate U.S. and international licensing requirements that affect crypto business strategy.
- Advise senior PayPal leadership and business clients.
- Create and manage teams with other PayPal in-house attorneys, PayPal personnel, and outside advisors for sophisticated matters.
- Work closely with variety of key stakeholders, including Corporate Development, Global Regulatory Relations, Government Relations, Finance, Treasury, Tax, and Human Resources functions.
- Manage internal team members and constituents and outside advisors, including active management of outside counsel.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- JD degree with excellent academic credentials.
- 12+ years of experience in financial technology, payment systems, digital assets, financial regulation, including securities law, commodities law, banking law, or illicit finance.
- Understanding of the technological variants of digital asset ecosystems and frameworks strongly preferred.
- Proven track record in building, attracting and developing talent to their fullest potential.
- Strong ability to inspire and foster an inclusive and diverse culture.
- Flexibility and creativity in dealing with complex legal issues on a domestic and cross-border basis.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent project management skills, well organized, with the ability to thrive in a fast paced work environment and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- A high-level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal agility and flexibility, combined with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with business clients and other legal department members.
- Team oriented, with a strong sense of humor, unquestioned ethics and integrity, sound judgment and high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Ability to cherish innovation, embrace change, and believe that there is always room for improvement.