Our client, a leading privately held real estate investment and property management firm with over $26 billion in assets under management is seeking a Managing Director – Insurance Risk Management.
The firm’s insurance coverage is both self-insured for their Property & Casualty and uses outside brokers for other aspects of their Insurance.
Managing Director of Risk Management
The Managing Director of Risk Management has total oversight of and is responsible for planning and directing business analysis, risk modeling, and loss prevention programs. Effectively evaluating and minimizing potential risks and exposures for the company and monitoring workplace activities to ensure risk management protocols are being followed.
The firm pursues investment opportunities in targeted real estate sectors that offer attractive returns including current income and capital appreciation. Its real estate activities encompass the acquisition, financing, property management, optimization and disposition of real assets and CRE-backed fixed income securities.
The Company operates in five targeted verticals; multifamily, office, seniors housing, opportunity zone investments and CRE-backed fixed income, and has specialized investment teams focused on each of these areas to generate above-market returns for its investors. The firm’s principals have been investing in and strengthening communities within the U.S. since 1991 and manage 13 private equity funds as well as separately managed vehicles, co-investments, and joint ventures.
Expectations for the Role:
- Understand, develop, and promote risk tolerance and risk management goals
- Liaise with leadership and insurance brokers on all acquisition related insurance matters
- Provide insurance coverage guidance to all areas of the company, including lenders, leases, and third-party operators
- Establish processes and procedures which ensure timely insurance renewals and reasonable premium allocations
- Maintain excellent communication with executive management on policy changes, coverage needs, and critical claims progress
- Participate as a member of the benefits committee
- Manage the firm’s insurance captive
- Full oversight of the Property & Casualty and Professional Liability programs
- Ensure an efficient claims administration process
- Interface with property insurance brokers and carriers
- Coordinate on-site risk audits by broker and carrier
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10 years of relevant experience
- Competence in financial statement structure and presentation
- Knowledge and experience with pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations related to risk management
- Insurance management experience
- Commitment to our Core Values: Teamwork; Accountability; Empowerment; Specialization; Creativity and Innovation
- Knowledge of Tort law, insurance adjusting practices, risk management principles, and safety practices, principles, and theories
- Experience and knowledge utilizing captives as part of Risk Management strategy
- Is flexible and adaptable – demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced working environment and work diplomatically and tactfully with others
- An inclusive individual who thrives in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
Michael Tuller / email@example.com / 212-997-3169