A brief summary of the role
The real estate investments division of a major global financial services firm seeks a Deputy Chief Compliance Officer (DCCO). The DCCO should be a senior compliance professional knowledgeable in alternative asset classes, private funds and investment advisory issues. He/she will assist the Global Head of Compliance in overseeing a full range of compliance matters that arise in connection with the asset management activities in the Americas region (including the United States and Latin America). This position has significant visibility with senior management and direct interaction with global portfolio management, distribution and operations.
The real estate business offers a wide range of investment products and services to institutional and retail clients through its specialized asset management units. The unit offers a broad range of real estate equity, debt, and securities investment strategies that span the risk/return spectrum.
The DCCO will help with the firm’s overall compliance program with a particular focus on the Americas businesses, including its operations in the United States and Latin America. The position is supported by eight US-based associates and two Mexico-based associates. The position requires a candidate with strong management skills and an ability to develop relationships, sometimes from afar, with staff and senior business executives in the region.
Candidates must possess a deep understanding of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and other related federal securities laws such as ERISA, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The incumbent will be expected to provide strategic direction to the unit’s activities as well as engage in direct compliance support of Real Estate product initiatives and other activities.
The individual will be expected to establish a significant presence in the area of real estate asset management compliance through participation on industry working groups and other activities. The role has responsibility for compliance monitoring, support of marketing activities, compliance training, creating and implementing new policies and procedures, and forensic testing. In addition, the position will assist in monitoring business activities to ensure they are performed in compliance with Company policy, securities laws, and SEC, FINRA, state insurance and applicable foreign regulations. The incumbent will play a key management role within the Real Estate Compliance organization and assist the Global Head of Compliance in the overall activities of the unit.
- Promote, protect and set the tone to reflect the Company’s reputation for ethics, integrity and honesty in all dealings.
- Position requires periodic travel.
- Position requires the ability to manage a local team as well as individuals in remote locations.
- Assist with matters such as new product development, risk governance committees, compliance metrics; and, act in the support of matters involving the non-Americas businesses where necessary.
- The development and continued fostering of relationships with all levels of management, particularly those in the Americas, to ensure that appropriate regulatory processes and controls are established and documented within the areas of responsibility.
- Monitor the effectiveness of established compliance processes and controls and recommend and implement enhancements.
- Assist management with identifying and resolving regulatory issues both within the business unit and across multiple business units.
- Assist regulators, auditors and business unit management with regulatory exams and inquiries.
- Develop and effectively administer a compliance monitoring program including, but not limited to, portfolio reviews, anti-money laundering, client documentation, gift and entertainment reporting, FCPA reporting, new account reviews, etc.
- Develop, organize, and deliver consistent compliance related training, and reinforce all compliance-related communications.
- Assist in coordinating global compliance activity in all offices.
- Professional working proficiency in Spanish helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred. JD, MBA, advanced degree or other relevant professional designation preferred.
- Deep understanding of Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940; other federal securities laws and rules thereunder; ERISA, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Ten plus years of compliance experience, primarily in an investment management organization, Real Estate experience and/or experience in alternative asset classes.
- Experience in managing staff and business constituents remotely.
- Experience with Anti-Money Laundering, Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act requirements and analogous laws in Latin America.
- Experience with Reg AB and Fannie/Freddie originations & underwriting guidelines; Mortgage Servicing Rights (MSR’s); rating agencies (S&P, Fitch, Morningstar) mortgage servicing requirements.
- Proven communication, analytical and project management skills.
- Strong relationship management and leadership skills are desired, including experience and ability in dealing with senior management.
- Experience in managing and leading a team.
Please email resumes to Jack Kelly at Jack@ComplianceSearch.com