Our client, a leading privately held real estate investment and property management firm with over $20 billion in assets under management is seeking a Chief Compliance Officer.
The firm pursues investment opportunities in targeted real estate sectors that offer attractive returns including current income and capital appreciation. Its real estate activities encompass the acquisition, financing, property management, optimization and disposition of real assets and CRE-backed fixed income securities.
The Company operates in five targeted verticals; multifamily, office, seniors housing, opportunity zone investments and CRE-backed fixed income, and has specialized investment teams focused on each of these areas to generate above-market returns for its investors.
The Chief Compliance Officer reports to the Firm’s Chief Operating officer. (The new CCO will work with the firms current CCO for a short transition period prior to his retirement.) The CCO will review and evaluate compliance issues or concerns within the organization and ensure that the firm’s partners, managers and employees comply with the rules and regulations of the SEC and other regulatory agencies.
- Develop, initiate, maintain and revise policies and procedures for the general operation of the compliance program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct
- Monitor, and as necessary, coordinate compliance activities of other departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance
activities and to identify trends
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable SEC et al. laws and regulations
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develop/implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provide general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience as a compliance professional at a SEC-registered investment advisor or regulator
- JD strongly preferred
- Series 65 strongly preferred
- Experience drafting and filing federal and state regulatory filings and compliance documentation (including SEC Form ADV, SEC Form PF, REG D Form D, Blue Sky filings, CFTC exemption filings, AIFMD filings, NFA filings).
- Practical history and understanding of U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s exams and audits.
- Expertise in enhanced AML/KYC rules for US, Cayman Islands and other jurisdictions.
- Understanding and knowledge of public non-traded REIT structures, open ended mortgage backed securities pools, closed end private equity limited partnerships and Luxembourg securities offering regulations.
- Applicable experience in developing and mitigating risk management policies and procedures.
- Practical knowledge of real estate transactions from a debt and an equity perspective.
- Experience drafting and updating corporate compliance policies and procedures.
- Prior experience with varied compliance functions, including approval of employee outside affiliations, IPO purchases, securities restricted lists, employee securities trading and email surveillance, political contributions, gifts and entertainment.
- Maintaining and conducting employee training, reviewing capital raising marketing materials, code of ethics, handling all regulatory inquiries, risk management, enforcing robust companywide policies and procedures, annual/quarterly testing.
Michael Tuller / 212-997-3169 / firstname.lastname@example.org