Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced and innovative attorney to lead our product counseling legal team. This role will partner with senior executives throughout the company to help drive strategy and advise on new and ongoing product initiatives and product launches. This role reports to our VP & Deputy General Counsel of Regulatory and Product and is based in our Menlo Park, CA Headquarters. This position will be instrumental in building trust in the Robinhood brand and enabling Robinhood to carry out its mission to democratize finance for all.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Leading a team of attorneys focused on counseling our product and engineering teams in regards to product launches and other consumer-facing product considerations
- Mentoring and developing a team of lawyers. Prioritize the team’s workload, set goals, with realistic as well as ambitious deadlines to help them navigate our fluctuating and ambiguous business environment
- Working cross-functionally with attorneys from other legal teams such as privacy, regulatory, corporate, commercial, and litigation
- Identifying and evaluating business and legal risks, and finding creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Developing and driving comprehensive, long-term legal strategies that balance risk and business objectives
- Analyzing products, business plans, and policies to provide risk mitigation strategies for products across multiple lines-of-business
- Developing systems, processes and team structure to get ahead of any potential issues or implications in products and policies before they reach the market
- Keeping Robinhood internal stakeholders abreast of important industry consumer protection laws and other product-related regulations
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- 12+ years of legal practice, including extensive product counseling experience
- Experience advising business and technical teams on launching new products and features
- Experience building and leading diverse teams
- Extraordinary interpersonal and communication skills; phenomenal ability to communicate information effectively internally and externally, including to non-legal audiences, and to drive cross-functional alignment and action
- Execution oriented mindset with the humility, drive, and scrappiness to get things done
- Experience with technology companies and/or startup organizations
- Deep background in the financial services, fintech or payments industry
- Technical education or background
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.